Novel Coronavirus 


This webpage has been collated by the CIT Student Association to showcase some of the support mechanisms available to students during these challenging times. We understand it is difficult to navigate the large quantity of information available to the public regarding the help and support during the current crisis. This is why we have selected a number of resources that may be useful for students in a simplified format. Always consider advice that is right for your personal circumstances.

The latest updates and information can be found on:

Skills Canberra

Emergency Relief and Food Banks

Canberra Relief Network

The Canberra Relief Network (CRN) has been set up to help support individuals impacted by COVID-19 who are not able to purchase items in the supermarket due to vulnerability.  CRN Website

Department of Social Services

Department of Social Services has emergency relief providers in your area
Find an Emergency Relief Provider in your area

Volunteering ACT and the Canberra Info Hub

Volunteering ACT and the Canberra Info Hub has a range of info guides including free meal, emergency relief services and short stay accommodation in the ACT
Volunteering ACT Information Guides

Now Hiring 

Here you will find jobs currently advertised publicly online and put on this web page to assist students in seeing available opportunities.  CITSA takes all care in trying to make sure this information is true and correct. 

Along with this please also view the below links for potential job opportunities that may exist: 



The Jobs for Canberrans Fund will provide work opportunities for people in the casual or semi-skilled workforce who have lost their jobs or have been significantly impacted due to COVID-19.

Jobs will be available for people who have relied on casual work and are not eligible for the Australian Government’s wage subsidy scheme or other support. Roles will have minimal pre-requisites and can be undertaken in a manner that is compliant with public health directions. 

To be eligible to apply for roles, people must have lost their job, or have been significantly impacted as a result of COVID-19. Roles will be made available to people most in need. Highest priority will be given to people ineligible for any Australian Government support.

Eligible people can now sign up to be notified of casual and short-term roles in a range of areas including:

  • cleaning
  • administration
  • customer service
  • fire recovery restoration
  • garden maintenance
  • building maintenance

To create an ACT Digital account and to apply click here.



No Results Found

The page you requested could not be found. Try refining your search, or use the navigation above to locate the post.

Financial Hardship

National Debt Helpline

If your circumstances have changed and you or your partner have lost your job or your hours have been reduced and you are struggling to pay rent/mortgage or household bills – call the National Debt Helpline on 1800 007 007. You can speak to a financial counsellor confidentially to discuss options including applying for hardship with your bank/telcos/utility providers.

The National Debt helpline has prepared a COVID-19 Survival Package which provides lots of useful information about support options and services if you are experiencing financial hardship
National Debt Helpline


Financial Counselling Australia (FCA) has compiled a summary of assistance provided by the banks in relation to mortgages and businesses
Read More Here

The Australian Banking Association has information on support for small business owners
Read More Here

Early Access to Super

The Australian Government is allowing individuals affected by COVID-19 to access up to $10,000 of their superannuation in 2019-20 and a further $10,000 in 2020-21. Find more information on the Treasury Website

We recommend you talk to a qualified financial advisor or counsellor before making an application to access your super early. 









Budgeting and Money Management


Care Financial Counselling Service and Consumer Law Centre

Offer electronic booklets on budgeting and dealing with debt as well as income and expenses sheets
Care Financial Counselling Service Website

The Australian Securities & Investment Commission (ASIC)

A one stop shop for money management strategies. ASIC’s MoneySmart website has advice for consumers affected by COVID-19

ASIC also has a wide variety of budget templates and calculators that you can save to your desktop
Templates and Resources on MoneySmart

Microfinance Loans

Care Financial Counselling Service provide a suite of microfinance loans for low to moderate income earners. If you are a JobKeeper, JobSeeker, student or on a temporary visa and need access to credit of up to $1,500 for items such as household furniture, laptops,  car repairs, car rego, medical equipment or procedures Click Here 

There are flexible terms that will be assessed in relation to those affected by COVID-19. For more information call our admin line on 6257 1788 or email

If you have left a violent relationship or been impacted by domestic and family violence, Care also provides a specialist microfinance program called Assistance Beyond Crisis (ABC loans)

Legal Advice 



Consumer and credit legal advice

The Consumer Law Centre is a project of Care Inc. We provide free legal advice and representation in the areas of consumer credit (mortgages, credit cards and personal loans), debt recovery, banking, contract, general fair trading and consumer protection.
You can find more information about our services at here
You can contact our office on 61430044 or

Legal Aid

Legal Aid ACT provides advice, assistance and representation in a range of areas including employment, tenancy, criminal and family law.
Legal Aid can also provide advice and assistance to people needing to apply for Family Violence Orders and Personal Protection Orders. Legal Aid also operates the Older Person’s ACT Legal Service (OPALS).
You can contact Legal Aid via the Legal Aid Helpline on 1300 654 314 or

Women’s Legal Centre ACT and Region

Women’s Legal Centre provides legal assistance to women in the ACT and region who cannot afford a private lawyer and do not qualify for legal aid. Our main areas of practice are family law, domestic violence, victims of crime, employment and discrimination. If you have a legal issue and don’t know where to start? Call their free, confidential advice line Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm.
From Canberra: (02) 6257 4377  Outside Canberra: 1800 634 669

Canberra Community Law

Canberra Community Law (CCL) is providing legal advice, assistance and representation to people in the ACT on low incomes for matters relating to tenancy, public housing, social security and disability discrimination law, including issues related to COVID-19.

CCL is also still providing services to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities through the Dhurrawang Aboriginal Human Rights Program and through the Street Law program.

Migrant and Refugee Services and Temporary Visa Holders


Migrant and Refugee Settlement Services (MARSS)

TheMigrant and Refugee Settlement Service (MARSS) can provide support to people on temporary visas living and working in Australia who have been impacted by COVID-19. For more information: MARSS Website or call (02) 6248 8577


Australian          Government

The Australian Government has created content for all international students to stay informed, safe and supported
International Student Support

Companion House

Companion House is a non-government community-based organisation that works with adults and children who have sought safety in Australia from persecution, torture and war related trauma. They provide counselling and medical services but during COVID-19 are mostly providing support over the phone or online
Click here for more information 

Rent and Utilities

Private Residential Tenant’s Rights During COVID-19

The ACT Government is making changes to help private tenants who have lost their jobs or have had their income significantly reduced as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic and cannot afford to pay their rent.

To see changes and how this might be able to assist you please click here

Utilities Concession

The Utilities Concession covers electricity, natural gas, water and sewerage and is calculated on a daily basis, with rates depending on the season. 

Eligible applicants must be the primary holder of one of the following concession cards:

  • Centrelink Pensioner Concession Card (PCC)
  • Centrelink Low Income Health Care Card (HCC)
  • Veteran’s Affairs Pensioner Concession Card or Gold Card Holders (Prisoner of War, War Widow or Totally Permanently Incapacitated (TPI) Embossed).

To find out more click here 

We would like to acknowledge our Community Organisations for their contributions to making this directory an informative and useful resource for our students. 

A special thanks to Care Inc, ACTCOSS and Volunteering ACT for their support and information they have provided,